When Iain was in 1st grade, I ended up doing babysitting for classroom meetings for a 4th grade class. The 4th grade boys terrified me. They freaked me out. They were out of control, I felt, from my 1st grader viewpoint.
When I talked to other parents, they told me about how in 4th grade, when their boys were 9, suddenly they CHANGED. They wondered where their sweet little boy went.
I've been a little worried about this whole 9 year old 4th grade boy thing.
So far, though....I LOVE the whole 9 year old 4th grade boy thing! He understands delayed gratification! I ask him if he has homework, he says he does. I ask when he's planning to do it, he says "after dinner". Then, after dinner, he does his homework. That's it....no pushing, no 45 minute whine-a-thon. He just does it.
Yeah, he's a bit more moody. He's more annoying in how he deals with Ria when he's in "that place." But......I can explain to him how Ria receives his words, and he compensates. He changes his words to Ria so she can understand. I don't have to do much more than a few sentances (most times) to get him on track.
It is SO COOL.
I know there's a lot more 4th grade to go, but I no longer fear 4th grade boys. I think they're great ;-).
1 comment:
I am so glad you are calm about your 9 year old boy! Don't get too stressed about age 9, the teenage years are ahead...
Post a Comment